Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Wedding Bells



Apologies for the disappearing act, I came down with a case of hardcore daydreaming, brought on by a friend's wedding N and I attended on Sunday (Congrats A + B!!).

Much to the dismay of my creative counterparts, ever since May 1, 2011 I have digging weddings like a mole digs earth (that is to say nearly all the time). I've created wedding Pinboards; I've registered at Wedding Wire and The Knot; I've watched a bevy of wedding movies; I've dvr'ed (that a verb now, right?) all of My Fair Wedding; I devour magazines like and blogs like so much nuptial cake.

Growing up I was not the girl who was obsessed by wedding plans. Unconsciously I recognized that there was no point in daydreaming about something that far off, especially when there was so much else to do in life: read, write, create. Then in the dregs of winter 2010, slogging through an internship and night classes, I came down with my first case of wedding influenza. The previously mentioned A was in the planning stages of her wedding and I was introduced to a world of pastels and cupcakes, chiffon and stationary. Out of the doldrums of student life here was a realm of feminine fantasy. I started to wonder, what would my wedding look like? N and I had been together for three years at that point and committed to a life together. So what was the harm in sketching out some ideas? It beat studying for the Praxis. So I doodled and took notes, etc. As spring/summer approached I was showing signs of recovery. All wedding dreams got put on the back burner.

Flash forward to this year. Ever since he popped the question, I have had questions of my own: When? Where? Who? And I will admit with no guilt that it is fun to daydream. Perhaps debilitating to my productive life, but as far as a vehicle for escapism, it ranks high on my list.

Currently, we (and I do mean we; he has been pretty insistent on certain aspects of the wedding) are planning a Cape Cod wedding. The only memory I have a wedding planning as teen was the time I told my sister that I wanted to get married on the Cape, have blue decorations and a live jazz band, which she promptly tore down ("Do you even listen to jazz??"). But now that I can seriously consider these options, here are a few of my top choices:

Wychmere Harbor Club, Hyannis



Clean lines, ocean views and a stylish planning team. This is my ultimate dream (read: when I win the lotto). Found this place through The Knot, and aesthetically it is everything I want in a wedding. One of my priorities in planning this event is to be in beautiful surroundings and to me nowhere is more beautiful than the Cape. With huge French windows overlooking the water, I want my guests to get a taste of the place N and I "grew up" on every summer. And if you visit the website, check out the food options. Hello, delicious!

Ocean Edge Resort, Brewster



Driving down route 6A through Brewster, you are guaranteed to pass this grand estate. Growing up I always wanted to go in it, but was never quite sure what it was. A millionaire's vacation spot? A castle? A nunnery? Turns out it is a golf club, resort, and wedding venue! Getting married here would mean a lot to me, because I summered in Brewster and it is near the beach where N asked me to marry him. The patio over looking the ocean looks stellar; modern and chic.

The Beach, Anywhere Cape Cod




Of course the most natural option would be to get married on the beach. I'm not sure what the logistics are of a beach wedding (permits, etc.) but it would be a blast. Would we wear bathing suits and jump in the water after our vows? Have a classic Cape clam bake? Roast marshmallows over a beach bonfire (dressed in Cuffy's no doubt)? One thing is for sure, it would be an occasion to remember!

Clearly, I'm still in the early-everything-is-possibile stage of wedding planning. But hey, it doesn't cost a dime to dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment